Thursday, February 7, 2013

February 5-February 7

Tuesday February 5

A typical day. Girls are settled into their school routine. MK has a new class schedule for the second half of the year. Her long day is still Tuesday but now on Wednesdays she also stays for another period, so we've had to reschedule her German tutoring to Thursdays. ME has been staying at her friend, Y's, house on Mondays after dance and playing, eating dinner with them and then coming home just before bedtime!

It's Karneval week and you can feel the excitement in the air!

Wednesday February 6

Really cold again with mixed rain and snow. Ugh. The kids are bouncing off the walls waiting for tomorrow. The Kindergarten and the schools are having Karneval parties. The kids can wear their costumes to school and there is no instruction time. Wonder what all they plan to do to keep the kids busy? I can't imagine that they'll just run around the gym for three hours (it's a short day too). Parents are allowed to come, so I guess I'll find out! 

Picked up some extra grocery items to take to the Kindergarten tomorrow. They are having a shared breakfast with all the groups eating together. The parents are invited back at 11:11 for some sort of program/presentation. So, tomorrow I'll be running back and forth between dropping GE off at the Kindergarten, then heading to the Bodelschwingheschule to see what's happening there, then back to the KG at 11:11. Somewhere in there I have to squeeze in some regular old grocery shopping!

Cleaned the apartment really thoroughly (the dust builds up so quickly!) and did some shopping. HR did her homework all by herself and put it away without asking! Could it be she's growing up?!

Went to my running group in the evening. Another new circuit training routine--this time focused on the arms (not sure I'll be able to lift them tomorrow!). Then a short run. I'd been having problems with my right knee ever since my foot injury (I think I was walking funny to compensate for the foot and that irritated my knee somehow). HW, the trainer, gave me some stretches to do and told me not to run between last Saturday and today. I iced it periodically too. This evening it didn't bother me at all! Yeah! Now to not overdo it with my enthusiasm to get going again...

Thursday February 7

It's Weiberfastnacht today!

What a morning! MK got her pirate costume on and headed to school. I woke the little girls up a little bit earlier than usual to help them with hair and face paint, plus putting costumes on over their clothing. When GE got up and saw that the big girls had their costumes on, she turned to me and asked with wide eyes, "Do I get to wear my dress too?!" "Yes, you have to." The eyes couldn't have gotten rounder if she tried!  I had gotten myself ready to go before I woke the middle girls so as soon as they were gone, I helped GE get ready and then we headed to the Kindergarten.


At the Kindergarten the central room had all the chairs and tables pushed to the side. The teachers were gathering the food items as we arrived and were busy in the kitchen prepping the food for serving. Loud Karneval music was playing and the room was decorated with colorful streamers, balloons, and the kids' artwork. GE was begeistert (thrilled/awestruck)! She dashed into the center of the kids and teachers who were dancing already and turned around with a big smile on her face. I got a quick kiss and left.

Raced back to the Grundschule and found my way to the Turnhalle (gymnasium) where the whole school had gathered for the Karneval party. Completely over the top! The drama group from the after school programs was m.c.ing. I came in just as the local kids Karneval club (still can't keep all the club names straight!) was dancing in their uniforms. There were frequent calls for "Bad Godesberg, Alaaf!! Bodelschwingheschule, Alaaf!" ("alaaf" instead of "wutz" but means the same thing: huzzah!). The teachers were all cowboys or Indians. ME fit right in! Lots of singing, dancing, and general hoopla!
ME is entertained!

The Friesdorf Karneval dancing club.

She's not sure what to make of all this.

ME's classmates and friends, C and H, in the center.


The young Prinz und Prinzessin with their attendees. I think they are for Friesdorf or Bad Godesberg, but I missed the announcement so I'm not sure.

HR's teacher, Fr. H, in her cowgirl costume.

ME with her teacher, Fr. S, behind her (that shirt looks so much like one of J's flannels!)


ME caught sight of me. :)


One of ME and MK's friends, AR, the daughter of our American-British friends.

HR's best friend, EO, (the clown).




Dancing free for all! HR hidden in the middle.

One of GE's Kindergarten classmates, F, showed up with her mom. Her older sister is at the BSS and is in one of the other 1st grade classes.

Dancing... ME and friends in the center.


Different classes gave short musical or dramatic performances. This third grade class did a goofy dance to the muppets' "Mnah, mnah" song with the kid in the trashbin popping out to sing the "mnah, mnah" refrain. It was a hit with the kids.

ME with her best friend, Y.

The Godesberger Prinzessin!

ME's classmates, C and J (the blond girls in the center).

Prinzessin and Prinz from Bad Godesberg.

HR's friend, E, with her hat full of candy treats that the Prinz and Prinzessin tossed to the kids!

The sister of GE's friend from Kindergarten, sitting near HR.

HR didn't have a hat or bag for treats... so where did she stuff her candy? Into her boot! Notice the protective hands over the top?!



After I felt like I'd seen and experienced enough, I squeezed both of the middle girls and then raced to get some grocery shopping done. Dropped those at home and headed back to the Kindergarten! The Kindergarteners and their teachers paraded into the Turnhalle as if they were the Karnevalzug (Karneval parade). Loud music and dancing ensued...

The KG director in her sailor suit. GE in her pink princess costume.

One of GE's teachers, Fr. J, in a clown get-up.

I think this speaks for itself!




GE and Mommy!

GE's other teacher, Fr. K, in her painter/artist costume.

German friends correct me, but I think this sign means "Der Zug kommt!" (The parade is coming!) in Kölsch.
The same youth group that performed at the Grundschule also made a guest appearance and performed for the Kindergarteners. I've decided that Germans (at least the Rheinland ones) don't have cheerleaders because they have Karneval dance groups instead! The dancing (although set to very polka-ish music) was very much like some of the half-time dance routines I've seen at games in the states, including tossing the littlest girls in the air and human pyramids and such! The uniforms and shoes are fascinating too...





GE was so tired from the exciting morning that she kept trying to lie down on the floor and suck her thumb! Took her home as soon as I could and got a few bites of lunch (it was a short day) into her before tucking her into bed. She took a 3 hour nap!

GE is the pink princess propped up on her elbows. A teacher asked her to sit up so she wouldn't get stepped on!

At 4 p.m. MK's friend, C, arrived for a sleepover bringing some Karneval treats to share with us.

A chocolate and sprinkle covered marshmallow-type concoction on a little wafer cookie!
Shortly after that, ME left to go to a friend's birthday party plus slumber party. We won't see her again until tomorrow late afternoon. She made a homemade card for her friend and I was so impressed that she only asked me how to say "invited".


No school for the big kids tomorrow but there is Kindergarten. We'll see if I can manage to roll out of bed in time to take GE there!


A great description of today's festivities and traditions from Wikipedia: In the Rhineland (Germany), Weiberfastnacht is an unofficial holiday. At the majority of workplaces, work ends before noon. Celebrations start at 11:11 am. In comparison with Rosenmontag, there are hardly any parades, but people wear costumes and celebrate in pubs and in the streets. Beueler Weiberfastnacht ("washerwomen's carnival") is traditionally celebrated In the Bonn district of Beuel. The tradition is said to have started here in 1824, when local women first formed their own "carnival committee". The symbolic storming of the Beuel town hall is broadcast live on TV. In many towns across the state of North Rhine Westphalia, a ritual "takeover" of the town halls by local women has become tradition. Among other established customs, on that day women cut off the ties of men, which are seen as a symbol of men’s status. The men wear the stumps of their ties and get a Bützchen (little kiss) as compensation.

J was warned to wear a cheap tie to work today. I found one for 1.99E at the Woolworth but when he got home this evening, his tie was still intact! Apparently hardly anyone showed up to work today and no one came around to cut his tie off. Finding that terribly lacking, we decided to do it ourselves. HR cheerfully handled the scissors! 





1 comment:

  1. What a delightful party.
    I'm glad to hear your foot is doing better. Keep your toes crossed!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete